Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Infestation Above a Pink Room

I remember when I brought the demons home with me;
they clung to the space beneath my shadow until 
I locked myself in my box of a room 
and they lingered in the narrow space 
above my ceiling, in the attic I saw once
but was scared of falling through.
I heard them running in the summer nights as 
I trembled beneath the thick white canopy,
on which I placed my collection of
stuffed bears like amulets.

But their stuffy faces and rocky eyes betrayed me.

I remember the night the ferret got loose upstairs and
wandered into my room but I knew
it was Teddy, the oldest of the pack,
with the broken ear and crusty sides,
directing the haunt.
And the people in the graying posters mocked me
as I lay still on the floral quilted tomb that
jutted from the bare wall,
listening to the demons scratching in the walls,
desperate to get out to get at me to
end my childhood.
And in the morning the leafy fingers of the
trees would rouse themselves awake
outside my two closed windows.
A car, maybe two, would pass in a 
strange kind of silence on the empty road.

2 comments:

  1. you know you write like a little baby, unhindered, free, and yet bound,
    entangling everything around no matter how small,
    in short you write innocently beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's like a poem in itself, mr. blasphemous. i appreciate that... i do like to endlessly detail all the little things.

    ReplyDelete