Tuesday, November 30, 2010

feeling the shittiest


You’re a hungry fool,
and I, the simple man’s psalm,
the prophecy of the utero-cave, 
the umbilical vines
in which I’ve trapped my pen and hands.
The next season that reminds you of
the closeness of your death
will be stuffed with blank holly
and cinderblocks.
But this...
is not a verse to make you think.

I’m hooked to this life, dangling from a doorway
Neither in nor out
a smoke signal away and yet I can’t start the fire
a simple leap up but this fatigued body holds me in place
this hairy slumping body holds itself together
seamlessly
the carpet set numbly against the floor
like my mother’s dinner on the table
the vapid lights of an aging city
again, again, repeat, again
I know not this language I speak.

How to begin the stories of my life. 
And then, how to begin the stories of others. 
Finally, if attainable, how to begin the stories of the made-up, the unreal, 
how to turn the empty space into life? 
It is the work for God only, 
to big bang this thing from question mark to pen. 
Smiling, bright, shining, blinking life has left me. 
I know you’re out there, friends, stripping your clothes off, 
while I pen you down but will never understand the precision 
you give to unraveling the straps that dangle from your shoulders, 
the halfhearted toss of a belt and shoes,
that comprehensive look you give to your lover, 
or to the mirror, or to anything that moves. 
I have resigned from the comprehensive; 
nothing can sum me up anymore except the curve in a cursive arc. 
I am a word in cursive, 
left to the uncertain precise emptiness of the blue line. 
I am the victim of white space. 
I am a thought monster. 
And you will never remember your drunken fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment